Preventative maintenance protects your pocket from more costly expenses by keeping things in a better working situation, one of the challenges for Landlords in Ontario is knowing when to conduct maintenance and cleaning checks, which repairs to make, and how to prioritize them.
In this blog, we’ll provide advice on when these jobs should get finished. We at zoodpm hope it helps you in keeping your property in top-notch shape, it’s no surprise that a well-maintained property attracts more applicants—and even ups your portfolio value.
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide alarms should be tested.
- Fire Extinguishers should be checked for any damage.
- The garbage disposal should be cleaned.
- Air filters for HVACs should be replaced every three months.
- Inspect the HVAC System: The HVAC system should be inspected at the beginning of fall.
- Insulate pipes: Before it gets too cold, it’s a good time to insulate pipes if needed.
- Service the water heater: This is a good idea to have a professional come out to service the water heater, if you own it.
- Check for leaks: While on the property make sure to look it over for any leaks. Visual inspection around faucets, appliances, showers, and toilets.
- Check windows and doors: Check by windows and doors to see if there is moisture residue. You may need to reseal windows before winter comes.
- Examine the property for any small entryways: These could allow rodents and bugs to easily access the interior of the property.
- Take a look at the exterior: Does any of the paint need to be updated?
- Check the roof: Make sure it’s in good condition and there aren’t any signs of damage.
- Check Chimneys and fireplaces: Chimneys and fireplaces should also be inspected during this time.
- Clean the gutters: In late fall, the gutters should be cleaned before the first snowfall hits.
- Winterize any outdoor faucets and hookups.
- Prune trees and bushes.
- Turn off the sprinkler.
- Close up the pool.
- Cover the AC unit.
- Clean fridge and freezer coils.
- Powerwash: The siding, windows, patio, and sidewalks can use a power washing this season to help remove any of the residue from fall and winter.
- Check windows to see if any screens need to be replaced.
- Check for leaks and if any new caulking is required: Inspect the house to see if any leaks have started around sinks, showers, and toilets.
- Check window and door locks: Make sure all are in working order.
- Flush the water heater and service the HVAC system.
- Fertilize the lawn and turn back on the sprinkler system.
- Tackle remodel and renovation projects: This is a great season for tackling any of the projects you’ve been putting off.
- Clean the dryer vent and exhaust fan: This is a good time to clean out the dryer vent, this should be done at least once a year.
- Reseal grout: If any grout needs to be resealed, spring or summer is a good time to do this.
- Check that the thermostat is working well: Check the battery.
- Do attic and basement inspections: This is a good time to do any attic and basement inspections to ensure there is good ventilation in both parts.
We hope this guideline helps you as you plan your maintenance schedule for the year. If you’d like any help managing and maintaining your property, please reach out to us at zoodpm.